Monday, November 15, 2010

Week 2 of Field

This week was by far the most fun, and most stressful. We taught our Social Studies lessons on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Our supervisor also came to watch us on both Monday and Friday.

Monday we did a lesson introducing mythology. My partner dressed up as a seven-year-old Grecian girl to tell the students a little bit about worshiping Greek gods. I think she did an amazing job. We also showed our digital stories, and read them a story about Athena and Aracknee. Overall the lesson went really well. I think that the students like it, and they learned a lot.

Tuesday we did kind of a concept attainment lesson first where the students were given pictures and then told what group to go in. Then we did a fill in the black on the projector together as we read stories of Athena and Poseidon. The only problem was while we were sorting the children by their pictures. First I had decided to have them stand by their pictures, then it was getting kind of noisy, so I told them to go sit down when they were done. I forgot that the reason that I wanted them to stay standing was so that if they got something wrong, then I could re-direct them. It worked out ok, but in the future I would have them stand, and not tape their pictures to the wall until they were “approved”.

Thursday we did a Synectics lesson that compared life in Sparta to a Bulldozer. Overall I think it is a fun idea to get the students critically thinking, but I decided that I would modify it in my own classroom. There are just too many confusing steps. By the end of it, the children were getting really restless.

Friday we read a few quick stories about Hephaestus and Dionysus. Then we gave the students foldables to compare the similarities and differences. We then played a game where the different teams had to pull a name of a God/Goddess out of the bag and act it out. The team then had to guess who they were trying to be. I think this day went pretty well.

I have learned so much this week. We do our last lesson on Monday, and I’m excited to see how it goes. I think the biggest thing that this field experience has done is made me really impatient to become a teacher. I can’t wait to have my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment