Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Beliefs

I watched a video last year in my Intro to Education class. It showed a very poor school with leaky pipes and access to only one computer. They then showed a wealthy school that had a laptop for every student, a science lab, and many more accessories. They interviewed students from both schools. The student from the poor school had never used a computer. He asked how he would ever get a job; even McDonalds uses computers. A student from the other school had a full-ride scholarship, and had already taken some college classes. What was the main difference between the schools? Technology.

If you would have asked me my beliefs about using technology in the classroom three days ago , I would have said that it can be used when it is convenient. It is simply there to help you, the teacher. Today I say don‘t only use it whenever you can, show your students how to use it. Technology can help you to show examples in any subject, and help to make your job easier. Most of all, it can help a student to learn more for their future. I didn’t realize how that video last year was tied to technology until I started reading articles and watching videos for this assignment. We are preparing students for jobs that are not even around today. They need as much of a head-start with technology as we can give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment