Monday, September 23, 2013

My first Triathlon!

My first Triathlon was a month and a week ago.  It was pure awesome-sauce, and is now my new favorite thing.  It was only a sprint tri - 600 meter swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run, but it was super fun.  I did decide that it was a little too easy, and am going to tri (lol) and Olympic one next year.  

I got stuck behind a very slow person on the swim.  I patiently waited until the wall, hoping that they would do the polite thing and stop the let people pass, but she just kept on going.  I decided to try to pass her, and she seemed to speed up when I was doing that.  I was slightly annoyed, pushed past her, and finished the best that I could.  I could tell that I had used more energy than I wanted to though.  

This bike trail kicked major ass!!  It was so my favorite part.  It was a whole lot of up hill (glad I trained for lots of hills).  I passed tons of people, and then it was a nice down hill ride at the end, in which many people passed me.  - I still need to figure out how to be faster.  There were a few scary parts because there were lots of rocks on the road, cars driving by, and bad wind.  After two times of my bike almost falling over, I decided to slow down.  :)  

Finally the run was ok. lol.  My sweet husband was there and ran with me for a while.  The books I read said that the hardest part is switching (swim to bike, bike to run) because your body gets used to one thing and then you change it.  I didn't notice a huge switch with swim to bike, but I really noticed a difference from bike to run.  It literally felt like my legs weight 10 more each.  It took about a mile to start feeling good.  The trail was boring, and my shorts kept slipping off my swimsuit so that wasn't the best part, but it was only 3 miles, so it was fine.  

In the end I felt extremely proud, and had a blast. I finished in just under two hours.  Greg was there to cheer me on every time I was in the transition area, and he is the best husband I could ever ask for.  He is even thinking of trying a triathlon next year.  

 
Now comes the difficult part.  I still have about 20 pounds to lose, (yes, I gained a bit back once school started :p , what do you do. lol)  and I want to try to do it before it is time to start training for UVM in March.  For most people I don't think this would be too hard, but I am working like 60 + hours a week.  Anyway,  I have taken about a month long breakish to settle back into the crazy.  Now it's time to get going again.  I'm so close to my goal, I just can't stop now.  I love the person I am becoming, and I want to keep moving forward.  

Ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment